Monday, October 6, 2008

"All the Things You Are" by Mike Resnick

The first science fiction magazine that I subscribed to was Galaxy. At that time a new editor by the name of Jim Baen had taken charge. Jim published stories by Roger Zelazny, David Drake, Arsen Darnay and many others that became favorites of mine. Galaxy was great. Jim went on to establish his own publishing company. Last year science fiction lost one of the best when Jim died. I am happy that Jim Baen's Universe(and Baen Books) will continue the legacy that started with Jim's editorship of Galaxy. After reading Eric Flint's editorial, I am confident that Universe has a bright future.

The lineup for this issue is a good mix of classic and new writers. You know you are in for a treat when a magazine can boast authors such as Gene Wolfe, John Barnes, Gregory Benford, John Ringo, Eric Flint, and Mike Resnick.

The first story in this issue sold me on the magazine. Mike Resnick's All the Things You Are is what I would call a classic science fiction story. It starts with an unexplainable mystery, the main character pieces together part of the puzzle and goes to another planet to solve the riddle. Reading this story brought back memories of Isaac Asimov's short stories. That is one of the highest compliments I can give to a story. Mike continues to be one of my favorite authors.

No comments: