Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher






“Fool Moon” is the second book in the Dresden Files series.  I enjoyed the first book (“Storm Front”) and decided to read this one for Carl’s “Once Upon a Time Challenge”.


Any time I pick up a fantasy book with the word “Moon” in the title it automatically makes me think of werewolves.  It was done intentionally by the author.  In this case, Harry Dresden-wizard for hire- is called in to help the police with what appears to be a murder committed by a werewolf.  Many of the characters from the first book are in this one.  Butcher includes a gang of werewolves for our heroes to fight.  He also reveals that there are more than one type of werewolf.  I found the different types to be an interesting addition.  Most stories I have read only have one way of becoming a werewolf.  I did not check up on it but it appears to me that Butcher researched various legends about how they came into being. 


Butcher knows how to write a page turner.  The action and revelations keep your interest.  The combination of the classic crime noir detective with the fantasy element makes for a different reading experience.  If you like wizards in the modern day and detective stories, this is the perfect book for you.

No comments: