Friday, October 24, 2014

Willful Child

Author:  Steven Erikson

First Publication:  November 2014

Source:  NetGalley

Steven Erickson has made a name for himself in the fantasy field in recent years with his “Malazan” series.  “Willful Child” is his first attempt at writing a science fiction novel.  According to comments the author has made, it is a loving spoof that is his tribute to “Star Trek”.  I understand where the author is coming from.  You can tell that he is a fan of “Star Trek”.  Unfortunately this falls under the category of too much of a good thing for me.  I would have enjoyed it more if this was a shorter work.  The only author I have read who could write comedy that would keep my attention for a whole novel is Terry Pratchett.  If this had been a shorter work, I would have liked it.  As it is I can see that it is well written and would appeal to many readers.  At some point, I would like to see Erickson tackle a serious science fiction novel.  

So if you are a fan of spoofs, I would recommend this one to you.  Otherwise, it can be skipped.

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I love Pratchett, but don't feel his humor is of the "spoof" variety. I'm not a big fan of spoofs. I felt like Scalzi's Redshirts was some of that and, like your experience with this, I felt it was just too long for the joke. Had it been shorter I might have appreciated it much more.